Today I read an article in the Atlantic Ocean.

• Today I read an article in the Atlantic about the history of "people are tired of being politically correct". It's worth seeing.

The reason is a report published by the Research Institute More in Common, "Hidden Tribes: A Study of America's Polarized Landscape", which reveals the spectrum of political orientation of ordinary Americans through more than 8,000 questionnaires and more than 30 in-depth interviews. According to their views on many political issues and the extreme extent of their views, they can be divided into seven groups:
    - progressive activists
    - traditional Liberals
    - passive liberals (negative left)
    - The politically disengaged
    - Moderates (neutral)
    - traditional conservatives (traditional right)
    - devoted conservatives (far right)

One of the most surprising things (in fact, some intellectuals in the United States) is that most people find "politically correct culture" problematic, with a total of 80%.
    (Of course, if there is a problem, it does not mean "objection". First of all, we should pay attention to the difference... The original is a problem.

Moreover, this tiredness of political correctness is not confined to a particular race, gender and age. More than 70% of blacks and Latinos feel that politics is wrong. Moreover, more than two-thirds of young people do not like political correctness.

After analyzing several other factors, some things are more interesting.
    - People with high incomes (more than 100,000 dollars) are less tired of being politically correct; (less than 70% of the average)
    - People with high education level do not hate political correctness more than others; (66% of graduate education, 87% of senior high school education)
    - Of course, the best predictor of correct political attitudes is the people who are politically inclined in front of them. Only 30% of the radical left thought it was a problem, 60% of the mild left, and 97% of the extreme right.
    - Moreover, the radical left's demographic composition, educational level and income level are very single: higher education background, white people, high income. The degree of white is indeed comparable to the black term "white left". The diversity is not much higher than the extreme right red neck.

Combined with this data analysis, the reason why most people feel that "political correctness is problematic" is clear.
    In fact, it is not because some groups divide up the rights and interests of those who want to exclude those who, most people's problem is that "they can not speak freely", very afraid of "careless will offend others". And the politically correct standards and rules are becoming more and more complex day by day, which brings discomfort to many people. "I'm not racial discrimination. Why do people say I discriminate? I don't understand it. "
    The reason for this is probably that "political correctness" is the "discourse" of a group of highly educated, high-ranking, willing and able to advance the social agenda. It's a good understanding: educated people know why politics is right, what details reflect the problems and faces of society, and what we should do about it.
    Ordinary people who don't care about politics simply don't have the mind or the ability to understand these issues.
    And when it reaches the general public, the whole knowledge becomes an inexplicable code of "I should be xxx, not xxxx", which is certainly problematic.
    In many cases, politically correct contexts are neglected in communication. This is also related to different situations faced by different groups of people, for example, when people with higher education deal with people with different cultures, they may try to figure out the cultural background of each other and consider whether to wish TA "Merry Christmas". But when they go to the ordinary people, the lack of this situation is a face of oblivion, "I pedal horse company." Say Merry Christmas to your neighbors? Isn't it sick? "

This also reflects the embarrassing situation facing American politics: who is talking + what is said, who is listening + what is understood by the audience, which is likely to be separated.
    Moreover, in the age of social network, people with the same educational background and political standpoint are more likely to hold groups, exchange and spread what they can understand, without taking into account the majority of society.
    In fact, according to the report, most people in the United States are centrists. The radical left is about 8%, the extreme right is about 20%, and the rest are milder people. But the sadness is that, although there is a reason for the radical Left to adopt it, the general public will have problems accepting it. Under the heavy bombardment of information, ordinary people are most likely to become "tired of politics" and "tired of political correctness".
    This does not mean that many people are racist. After all, more people hate hate speech (82%). However, the current political ecology does not give PC and hate speech any speech space at all. I am afraid that such a pull will still exist for a long time.

How to say, how to make progress in politics is worth rethinking. I don't know how many leftists this report can wake up.

(Of course, if you think that "there should be no political correctness at all", then this microblog is not written for you. Don't comment on it first, dear.)

扫二维码,关注微信。 扫二维码,关注微信公众号。Scan the QR code and add WeChat.

微信公众号:湾区乐生活

北京、上海、广州、深圳、武汉、长沙、珠海、佛山、汕头、东莞、中山、外贸、留学生

招聘、租房微信群

QQ群:湾区乐生活